Friday, January 23, 2009

January Thaw

We have been experiencing a January thaw this week. It is pretty typical for a Utah January. It seems to happen in January or February most years. It isn't really that warm. According to my weather channel desktop temperature readings, yesterday was barely in the 40's and today is just 38 degrees. However, it has been raining and melting the snow in our yard. I can see splotches of dead grass, yet we still have 4 foot drifts in spots (that grass ain't seeing daylight until at least May.) Since it is SO warm :), I thought I would venture outside for a few January thaw pictures. I spared you pictures of the dead grass (though I have been known to photograph less exciting things.) The berries on my tree caught my eye the other day so they became the focus of my pictures.







I am sure you are sick of these berries by now. But I liked this one with the clouds in the background.

5 comments:

Jackie said...

I love these! The clarity is amazing. Are you using a macro lens?

Mom and Camera said...

Yes, I believe that all of these were with my macro lens.

Stephanie said...

I love the one where the water drop is reflecting the branches - very cool.

Unknown said...

Gayle, Your pictures always amaze me. I am also jealous that the ice and snow is starting to melt out there. We're still below zero here.

Mom and Camera said...

I am sure the "thaw" is temporary since it is snowing here tonight. Looks like a couple more days of snow, too. I have read about your super-cold temps. I'll hope for some above freezing temps for you.