Friday, April 24, 2009

The Magic of 80 Degrees

We have had a little rule at our house for the last 7 years that has saved me hours of discussion and arguing in the Spring. This rule originated when my kids were small. The minute the snow started melting and the sun started shining they were always asking if they could swim or run through the sprinklers. Sometimes the temperature was only in the 50s when they would ask me, so I made the 80 Degree Rule. The rule goes like this--there will be no water play until the outside temperature is at least 80 degrees. This rule has turned 80 degrees into a benchmark of sorts for my children. This last week, they watched anxiously to see if we would hit the magical 80 degree mark. When they checked the thermometer and it said 79 degrees, I caved. In the blink of an eye they had the sprinkler spraying on the front lawn. And because water is like a drug to children (okay--at least to mine and some others I know), it wasn't long until there were 12 kids outside playing. Now it looks like we will have a few cooler days before we have any more warm ones. That's okay with me because my house and I need to recover from all the fun :)!



7 comments:

Laurel C. said...

My mother had the same rule for us kids when we were growing up. Stephanie and I chain-called Mountain Bell's old "time and temperature" number on the phone incessantly until the recorded voice finally said 80! Then we ran for the wading pool!

I love these pictures. I love how you've captured the glee of running through sprinklers, and I love how each water droplet is defined. Makes me wish we had our 90-degree day back instead of the 58-degree one we have today.

Mom and Camera said...

The only reason my girls didn't run for the wading pool first was that it is buried in the garage under stuff from our basement. Hopefully we will have recovered it before summer.

Natalie said...

Yep, obviously I had the same rule as Laurel growing up. Jeff and I called "KSL-SNOW or KSL-RAIN" over and over to hear the magical 80 degrees. I'll probably have the same rule when I have a house. However, 80 doesn't feel as warm as it used to. I'm too cold getting wet at 80 degrees I need at least 85!

shirley said...

Such joyful, wild abandon. Love the pictures. I think I cave at 70 degrees, though!

shirleybehindthelens.blogspot.com

Kiera said...

love!

Stephanie said...

Um, I was going to make the same comment that Laurel and Natalie have already made. So, I guess all I have to say is, "ditto". Although, I think our mom made the "80 degree" rule so she didn't have to drag out the summer clothes from the boxes in the garage prematurely. I think she figured that once it hit 80 that the weather was warm for good. But, not this year. We've gone from shorts to sweatshirts within days.

natalie a said...

I had no idea you were so talented! I Looove this portrait - it's beautiful!